Wednesday, December 02, 2009

She wears the pants....
...how the man has (according to me) lost his place and pride.

While paging through a local women’s magazine recently, I felt nothing less than GOBSMACKED. There it was! An article that was really good but a little too late. It spoke to me, actually- it spoke about me, WAIT ....I don’t think I’m putting this right, this article took a whole chapter out of my book, as it is. WORD-BY-WORD.

It wasn’t about ‘The ultimate fantasy’, not about ‘OUR love for chocolate’, not about ‘The greatest weight loss programme’, not about ‘How you can lose a guy in 10 days’ and not even about ‘How to impress your mother-in-law’.
This article was real, it was my generation’s truth, it was everything a working girl should read and more, it was at last- something I could relate to on a realistic level, like nine­_nine – DIE WAARHEID. It was about ‘The Scrub’. I know you are lost, so I need you to take a deep breath and go back to the year 2000 with me. TLC voiced it, off-course it was just words on a good beat to us then, we sang along and we even knew the moves that went well with the song, we bought the album and we most probably respected them for ‘the hit’, but, were we listening??? Was the message the song ‘NO SCRUBS’ is carrying clear to us then-girls-now-women? Thinking back – do you think they had a point? I do, I actually know what they were on about. Yes, I’ve has a SCRUB experience, first hand, and I’m going to tell you all about it.
Please note that along the way I’ll be marking very important events/moments and habits that were nothing less than warning signs- only I chose to look the other way when the universe was trying to tell me something. Sistas, please take notes. Or Else.....
I’ll put a *W* sign next to everything you should read twice.

He was handsome, smooth and likable. He was take home- to-mom material. He was IT, the guy you sort of wish for and don’t believe your luck when you hook up with him, he was the ‘MAN’ and I was done. He was the perfect age, had the greatest dreams, knew what he wanted and exactly how he was going to get it. More than my attention he had my respect.

A couple of years ago I met ...., let’s call him Bond*, at a friend’s party. He seemed laid-back and he was good looking, but then again, so was his friend so I made nothing of him until he asked me for my numbers. I didn’t hear from him and I didn’t care until a few months later when I bumped into him and we made small talk. A few weeks later he asked to meet and over coffee this man went on about how he thought that I was “The ONE”*W*. Being the smart girl that I am, I told him how sweet that sounded and took the time to tell him how I wasn’t interested in being his ‘THE ONE’.
A few calls and an e-mail later he gave-up.
Out of sight-out of mind, until months later when I saw him at the Airport looking rather good, maybe it was just me or the place I was in, I was single, bored and I’d just come back from a very draining work assignment in Cape Town. I was happy to see brother-man, until his beautiful girlfriend appeared behind him. Well, out of sight-out of mind again. A month later he came to my workplace asking me for cash*W*, I know. You’d think that being the know-it-all that I’ve always been, I’d write him off, RIGHT?!

More than six months later this man invited me to his birthday braai, please note it was held at his friend’s place*W*. That day, we hit it off, like a house on fire. From that day on he’d come to work during my lunch hour and take me out for a coke, yes, a glass of coke*W*, nothing was sweeter. We’d talk about any and everything under the sun, and for the first time in my life I met someone who knew about my father and his work*W*, someone who understood my passion for the arts*W*, we had a lot in common*W*, had the same opinions on a lot of things *W* and so I was sold.
I don’t quite remember how he ended up at my mom’s place but he didn’t think twice about introducing himself and making himself comfortable*W*.
About a month into the relationship I started questioning why he hadn’t invited me to his place*W*, his response or should I say excuse was how he was living with his troublesome younger sister and how he wanted to lead by example by practicing what he constantly preached to her, something about taking it slow with the opposite sex. Believe it or not, that scored him even more points. It made a lot of sense.

And so Bond* and I were an item, the more time we spent together, the more comfortable he got*W*. One day our lunch-time outing went from a coke to lunch, not a big deal, not even when he said “can we please go half-half”.*W* and just like that, my smitten ass responded,” I’ll take care of it”.
That may sound like nothing out of the ordinary, especially this day and age in Jozi, but those 5 words “I’ll take care of it”, were everything that man was waiting to hear come out of my mouth. I say that because he somehow found a way to make me pay for every single bill after that. As if that’s not enough, he found a way to squeeze petrol money out of me, there’s more, in no more than four months time into the relationship he was living under my roof, driving my car and still not taking care of the bill and petrol. This man didn’t even contribute a cent to the grocery. I mean, I - Itumeleng Sedumedi - was getting dropped-off and picked up in my own car. There’s still more, before I got out of the car every morning, he’d ask for me for money.
And just like that, my standards no longer existed. My friends and loved ones either laugh at me or almost drop-dead out of shock every time they hear about this craziness.
Let me put it to you this way, no one could have predicted that I would be taken for a ride like that by any man, I’d always had standards and if they were not met I was gone, no thinking twice, I was too smart to be with a loser, until Bond* came into my life. Wait for it – there’s still more, he treated me like SHIT too. Spoke to me like I was nothing, made me feel like I was lucky to be with him and did I mention that the bedroom gymnastics were not all that either.

So why did I stay?? It’s a fair question.
I could have walked out when he tricked me into taking him on a little weekend-away, I wasn’t aware that I was paying for our little trip out of town until I was actually PAYING, I mean he said he wanted to take me to Mpumalanga.

I could have also walked out when my sister rightfully said, “since you’ve been with this guy, you are always BROKE*W*.

Maybe I should have walked out when I started suspecting that ‘the little sister’ he stayed with didn’t exist.

I could have cut all my losses the day I found him standing behind me while I was making a cash withdrawal and he boldly said “take it all out” reffering to my money, my hard-earned cash.

Here is my lousy answer, I stayed in that relationship because Bond* walked into my life just when I was thinking I’m going to grow old walking out of relationships just because someone does something I don’t like.
At that paticular point in my life, I had just convinced myself that I need to apply that simple word – SACRIFICE.
I had given up real good relationships for stupid reasons and for some odd reason, I thought it’s time to learn to put up with someone.
A simple case of BAD TIMING or maybe EVERYTHING DOES HAPPEN FOR A REASON.

By the time I woke-up from my stupid dream, I mean when I finally slapped myself back to reality I had lost so much weight, I had changed into a rather dim girl, no life left in me, I was stressed and depressed and had serious debts to settle, thanks to Bond*. You don’t know what totally blinded means until you’ve been with a Bond*/scrub/freeloader/rabaiki.
Maybe, just maybe, I wouldn’t have a problem if he cleaned, cooked or did something that suggested he wasn’t in it for the free ride. If for God’s sake that man found a way to make me forget about the financial burden he was, I’d think twice about discrediting him like this.

It’s funny how MANY women in my circles have been through a Bond* experience and are (just like me) still paying for it – literally.

Here is a note – these men are masters of their own craft, they study you, soften you up, make you drop your panties and then your standards, they know what they are doing and they know who to go for, they’ve been doing it for ages and are not about to stop. There was someone getting milked before you and there’ll most definately be someone after you, they know how to express everything you want to hear and they have a way of making women feel like they have to pay for their love.
Bond* left me broke and bitter and that didn’t help me move on along to a better place because all I thought about was how to be careful of another vulture and I ended up with a shark.

I read that article more than twice and still felt like someone was playing a joke on me. No matter how much they tried to break-up SCRUBS into different categories Bond* fitted in all of them.
Artist/Creative type – Check
Always speaks about his big dreams – Check
Thinks the universe owes him something – Check
Makes you feel like you have to feel honoured to be his girl – Check
Is constantly working on something that does not exist – Check

Everytime I beat myself up about the Bond* experience and how stupid I was, I think back to one single moment when I had this heavy feeling called DOUBT about us – I could have taken it seriously.
But I didn’t and everything I learned from it will stay with me – FOREVER.

For the longest time I thought about how I could save other women from falling for this man because right after I broke up with him I found out that he’d been sleeping with five other women during our time together. I also found out that he’d done the same thing he’d done to me to other women.
I thought about a radio announcement, I thought about donotdatehim.com, I even thought about hooking up a facebook page to warn sistas. In the end, I decide to work on me.

Things started making sense when I finally snapped out of it. Why he didn’t want to take me to his place, why he wanted to move in with me so badly, why he told me I was beautiful only when that would be followed by that topic – MONEY, the list is endless.

I titled this piece what I titled it because I somehow manage to come across women who’ve been through or are still with a scrub. It’s become common. Smart women are falling prey to con artists like Bond*.

Whatever happened to men who know their roles in relationships? What happened to the good old PROVIDER? Has it become okay for a man to expect (nevermind accept) a woman putting food on your table? How many women, do you know of, have been super-taxed by a man?

Here is what I think. If you are not about to learn how to cook, wash, iron, clean, wash and feed the kids, change diapers and be domesticated and you want a serious relationship – as a man you should surrender to your role as the provider and protector.

To all the brothas who still know how to spoil a woman who is worth it – you are valued.
To all the sistas who are stuck with a scrub – let him go. PERIOD, you are not his mother.
To all the scrubs (including Bond*)- you have to start loving yourself at some point – nothing beats enjoying what you’ve earned, it just feels right.

P.S – Bond’s latest project/girlfriend called me about three months ago telling me how a lot of things are not adding up and she’s starting to have seious doubts.
I’m just thankful that although I felt that the article titled ‘The SCRUB detector’ was a little too late, it found me with this great piece of knowledge – STAND by your STANDards, no matter who you fall for.

Remember!

‘he’s always talking about what he wants and just sits on his big ass’ – TLC.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

In the words of uThata Madiba "Never and Never again ..."

You've come through the experience stronger and with wise words to share. I'm so glad he didn't take away your beautiful soul. (Is this way the request for money follows? - lol!)

This one ought to be published in print for all to read.

Unknown said...

This was a good read! You are so right, though. It's amazing how much us women will take simply becasue we are afraid of being alone - being left on the shelf. As someone who once almost fell for a scrub ( I have a rule about never paying for dinner with a date. I offer to pay for dessert or drinks after!) But it is still so easy to succumb to the fear of dying alone

Ndim said...

The way you wrote this makes me feel like a bad friend, i remember when you told me bout this and telling you to leave him. You told me you were in love with him and tired of being in and out of relationships, im really sorry. The bastard deserves to be moerd by a group of majita ako kasi. Im glad you learned somthing from this even though it was late. All the best with your future patner.

Unknown said...

Weight losses a thing that plenty of men and women are making an effort to do and if you are trying to find a program to help you it would be advisable to find a program which was produced by a doctor.
Weight loss coffee