Friday, September 09, 2005




Hip-Hop
The first time I paid attention to it, I didn't even understand it much. The art and depth that this music genre posseses was not visible (nevermind audible) to me. It was more about WHO is spitting the Rhymes and the beat than it was about the rhymes.
2PAC, Biggy Smallz and Busta Rhymes used to get my attention only because they were all over the show. They were on TV half the time, everyone I know bumped their tracks on a daily basis and they swore like there's no tommorow. As soon as Bitch, Ho's, gangster, dick and etc became normal (second nature) words to me I was able to pay attention to the flow. The first hip-hop track that had meaning for me is: Keep on keeping on- MC Lyte feat. Escape (whatever happened to them?!).
A friend of mine who was born a hip-hip fanatic wrote out the lyrics to that track for me, she also taught me a few hip-hop/american slang (words) and introduced me to 'weed', yeah I said 'weed'. Ever since those days hip-hop has been more or less part of my life.
I became hip-hop and hip-hop became me when I discovered South African hip-hop through Skwatta Kamp. I thought: "these boys are ill" from the very first time I heard them (rau rau), I fell inlove with how realistic they are and I could relate to almost everything they were rapping about- Poverty, the hood, teenage pregnancy, sex, drugs and alchohol South African style.
Hip Hop Pantsula is one of my favourites, I like the fact that he is got no time for disses or beef and yet he still manages to get us hooked to his flow. Last festive season I was a joke to my older sister Nina because I was so obsessed with 'Tswaka' (the word means MIX) one of HHP's singles on his latest albumn 'Omang Reloaded'. I would literally turn into a groupie everytime I heard that track, I would smile until all my facial muscles started aching.
Hip-Hop became an obsessiong for me when PROkid graced the Local Hip-Hop scene, this 24 year old, SOWETO hip-hop veteran as he calls himself changed South African Hip-Hop for the Best if not greatest. He is the definition of Ill, I can not get over his skillz and I suspect a lot of hip-hop heads are suffering from the same fever I've had since the release of 'Heads and tales'.
PRO is on point, he tells it like it is and unlike Skwatta Kamp's Flabba he is not too vulgar. He raps about reality- PERIOD. No beating about the bush, no sugar coating and interestingly- no fairy tales.
He is the realest MC and believe me when I say, you don't want to make a fool of yourself by attempting to take on this CAT on the battle floor.
He's put every South African MC in their place including his rival M'rapper ProVerb. The beef between the two came about when one of them (I don't know which one) decided he is not down with sharing 'PRO'. It turned into an unnecesarry constant battle, leaving Hip-Hop headz getting a dose of unbelievable punchlines.
The score was settled at the Rand Easter Show. An unexpected battle between the two materialised. I was not there (unfortunately) but those who witnessed it put it this way: 'ProVerb' lost his dignity, punchlines and shine that day to PROkid.
I work for a TV current affairs show called Weekend Live, I put together inserts. It is an Arts and Culture show and my dream come true. A new week means a new story and sometimes maybe two. I learn something new everyday and get to meet very interesting people. I will never forget the day I was assigned to do a story on South African Hip-Hop. It is by far the story I enjoyed doing more than all the others. I got to interview Lee Kasumba- (Yfm- Harambe), she holds very interesting views about HipHop and she is one of the most intelligent/articulate women I've met in my time. I also got to meet PROkid (the lyrical genious) and I have never trembled more. He is streetwise, charming and real. It was such a wonderful expirence to get to share my thoughts with someone so thrilling. I have respect for him and hope he'll hold it down until 2PAC makes it back from ' you know where' because for me- that's as real as it gets.
"Eintlek Fuck backstabbing, mina ngizo ku gwaza nine, nine"
- PROkid (Ungapheli Umoya)
My TOP 10 South African Hip-Hop tracks (at the moment)
  1. PROkid- Wozobona
  2. HHP- Harambe
  3. Hidden force- Tsokotsa
  4. Skwatta Kamp- The Clap song
  5. Morafe- The whole thang
  6. H2O- It's Wonderful
  7. PROkid- SOWETO
  8. SK- Uhamba no bani?
  9. Zulu Mobb- Comfort me
  10. Twistyle- Lovey Dovey

right now me is listeng to MORAFE.

4 comments:

x0lani said...

Right on, girl! Lemme borrow some CDs!

Letters To My Younger Brothers & Sisters said...

A new kid by the name of Tuks (Senganga is out). If you are Tswana- Let's hear the safety belt click-click first coz you are about to be taken for a ride and a half.
Setswana at it's purest form and reality at it's freshest stage.

Albumn: Mafoko a me
Rating: Super, 120% the best thing since Kota.

hot sexy chillie said...

this is siyasanga mbambani@nmmu.
anyone who knows the lyrics of skwatta kamp'clap song' can you send them to
siyasanga@gmail.com.please

FreedomChild said...

HARAMBE lyrics Tumi please help me out, please! please! please, or anyone i really love the song and am not quite sure of the lyrics. help me.